Tipo de institución: Centro de investigación
Áreas de trabajo:
- Manejo marino costero
- Sensibilización y formación
- Análisis de vulnerabilidad e impacto
- Adaptación basada en ecosistemas
Alcance: Antigua y Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belice, Cuba, Dominica, República Dominicana, Granada, Guyana, Haití, Jamaica, San Cristóbal y Nieves, Santa Lucía, San Vicente y las Granadinas, Surinám, Trinidad y Tobago
Servicios: There are two specialized centers as part of the academic activities of the University of West Indies (Jamaica):
- The Centre for Marine Sciences (CMS) forms part of the Department of Life Sciences and has responsibility for the Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory, as well as the Caribbean Coastal Data Centre. The Centre focuses on threats to biodiversity, looking at areas such as Climate Change, invasive species, habitat destruction, overfishing and water quality. In some cases projects aimed at developing management programmes for the affected areas have been implemented.
- The Unit for Disaster Studies as part of the Department of Geography and Geology which is leading the Secretariat of the Caribbean Disaster Information Network, a collective initiative among other specialized institutions that seeks to provide a dynamic approach to accessing and disseminating disaster related information in a manner that adequately prepares and minimizes the effect of disasters in the Caribbean Region.