Clean Technology Fund (part of Climate Investment Funds)
Renewable energy; Energy efficiency; Transport.
As country circumstances differ, investment programs will be developed on a country-specific basis to achieve nationally-defined objectives. The range of options include:
(a) programs and large-scaled projects;
(b) at the sectoral or sub-sectoral level in a given country;
(c) sub-nationally, by focusing activity on a particular province/state/municipality;
(d) regionally, particularly where regional cooperation is required;
(e) through the private sector, or public-private partnerships.
Eligible Projects or Programmes:
Investment selection criteria will be developed to assess the potential for greenhouse gas reductions, demonstration potential, development impact and implementation potential. Investments may include, among others, low carbon actions addressing the power sector (renewable energy, as well as increased efficiency in generation, transmission and distribution); transportation (modal shifts to public transportation, improved fuel economy, and fuel switching); and large scale adoption of energy efficient technologies and other demand management techniques in the industrial and commercial and residential building sectors.
Requirements are different for public and private sector, and for the different types of projects. The list of requirements can be found in the website. Preparation Grants requests have to be consistent with guidelines as per document on “Clean Technology Fund: Financing Products, Terms, and Review Procedures for Public Sector Operations”. In addition Preparation Grant Requests should include:
1. A brief explanation of why the grant is to be MDB-executed.
2. A detailed description of scope of work and rationale for any of the activities and if relevant, terms of reference, deliverables and timeline.
3. A budget sufficiently detailed to justify the requested funding and showing co-financing from other sources for preparation of the project.
Proposal evaluation criteria:
The CTF will use the following criteria to assess and prioritize the proposed pipeline of programs and projects, with a view to maximizing the impact of CTF resources: (a) Potential for GHG Emissions Savings (b) Cost-effectiveness (c) Demonstration Potential at Scale (d) Development Impact (e) Implementation Potential (f) Additional Costs and Risk Premium.
How to Apply:
The following procedures will apply to the preparation of CTF Investment Plans:
1. When an eligible country expresses interest in accessing CTF financing, the MDBs’ country operations teams will jointly assess the potential for investments in the country to meet CTF criteria. If the MDBs’ assessment confirms a potential fit with CTF investment criteria, a mission will be arranged.
2. The host country and the MDBs will conduct a “desk” review of GHG emissions and emission reduction potential, which will be used to identify the skills needed from Government and MDB team.
3. A proposed program or project, will be submitted by the relevant MDB to the Trust Fund Committee for approval of trust fund financing, MDB Board approval, and supervision. For more information about how to apply, visit the official website.